Moving your body, ditching highly processed foods, drinking lots of water, and getting enough sleep are all great ways to work towards your health goals and drop some kilos, yet some people may find they need a little extra support – and that’s perfectly normal.
Meal replacement shakes can be a great addition to your weight loss journey, helping you curb cravings throughout the day and stay within your daily calorie allowance. But are they a good solution for long-term weight loss? Let’s dive into it.
What are meal replacement shakes?
Meal replacement shakes are a low-kilojoule alternative to real food, specially designed to replace meals in your diet without compromising your nutrient intake. Jam-packed with protein, vitamins and nutrients, but very low in carbs and calories, these shakes are a perfect tool for calorie control.
In short, they work by helping you manage your caloric intake while simultaneously conserving your lean body mass. By doing so, they help fulfil your protein requirements without relying on an excess of calories, keeping your body healthy and strong.
Do meal replacement shakes work for weight loss?
Absolutely. Meal replacement shakes are great for weight loss and there’s research to prove it . However, not all shakes are created equal and picking the right one is key to reaching your goals. A solid choice? Juniper’s Nourish Shakes.
Available in 5 delicious flavours, Juniper’s Nourish Shakes are dietitian-approved and contain the nutritional benefits of a balanced meal. In just one 205-calorie shake, you get:
- 20 minerals and vitamins, which account for over 40% of your daily vitamin needs for immunity and overall health.
- 29.4g of high-quality, whey protein with all 9 essential amino acids to limit muscle mass loss.
- Fibre to keep you fuller for longer and support digestive function.
- Pre and probiotics for optimal gut health.
- No nasties – no added sugar, laxatives, preservatives, or empty fillers.
Depending on your goals, you may take Juniper’s Nourish Shakes as part of:
- Rapid weight loss plan, where you consume 2 shakes a day and can expect to lose up to 2kgs a week for the first 4-6 weeks, followed by 0.8kgs each week beyond that .
- Steady weight loss plan, where you consume 1 shake per day, follow a low-calorie diet and can expect to lose 4% of body weight in 12 weeks .
Can the weight loss be sustained long-term?
Research has shown that for obese adults, incorporating meal replacement shakes into a healthy diet leads to more weight loss than simply changing eating habits .
However, when it comes to the efficacy of these shakes for long-term weight loss, more research is needed, as it simply isn’t sustainable to stay in a calorie deficit for an extended period of time.
That’s why weight loss shakes should be seen as a part of the puzzle, and not a one-and-done solution to excess weight. It’s why taking a holistic approach to weight loss and making behavioural changes that you can maintain in the long run is more likely to help you lose weight and keep it off.
Juniper’s Weight Reset Program is designed by doctors, dietitians, and health coaches to help you achieve just that: sustainable, long-term weight loss. It uses a combination of medication, practitioner support, and lifestyle changes to support you at every stage of the weight management journey, and includes:
- Clinically-proven medication, which suppresses appetite and increases the feeling of being full.
- Unlimited access to weight loss experts, including GPs, nurses, dietitians, health coaches, and pharmacists.
- Free smart scales to measure biometric health improvements and check in on your goals.
- Members-only app to track progress, access educational content about health and nutrition, or speak directly to a health coach.
- Free and discreet home delivery, so you can skip waiting rooms and pharmacy visits.
- Access to a private online community where you can find support and advice from women on the same journey.
And it works: thanks to its medical approach to weight loss, Juniper has helped more than 22,000 women lose weight, find new confidence, and become their healthiest selves .