Randwick City Council is planning to replace the public amenities, bus shelter and café/kiosk at Goldstein Reserve on Arden Street, Coogee Beach.
The Randwick City Council is looking to increase the capacity of the current toilet facilities and deliver a new architecturally designed amenities building, bus shelter and café that is functional and sympathetic to its location alongside beautiful Coogee Beach.
Goldstein Reserve is a busy location, popular with locals and visitors, and home to the annual Coogee Sparkles NYE fireworks, Coogee Carols, Anzac Day Service, Koojay Corrobboree and more recently, the Coogee rainbow walkway!
The existing buildings
Built in the late 1980s, the current buildings are deteriorated and do not meet current quality standards or the needs of the community.
Three separate buildings in the location currently house male toilets and showers, accessible toilet, bus driver facilities, bus shelter, female toilets and showers, and a café and kiosk with outdoor seating. During our summer peak periods, portable amenities are added to the location to keep up with public demand for toilets in the area.
Council has proposed that the best approach to upgrading the amenities is to remove the existing buildings and replace them with new facilities. This provides flexibility in planning the new facilities and extends the life of the amenities.
Planned inclusions for the new development
The new design proposal is currently exploring:
- Increasing the amount of male and female toilet facilities
- Unisex accessible toilet facilities
- External seating
- Storage for essential services
- Bus shelter including seating and driver toilet facilities
- New café/kiosk with seating
- Removal of the existing public telephone
Other amenities in the area
- Coogee Beach lower promenade: Built in 2017 on the beach front, amenities include male, female and accessible toilets, showers and change areas, and lockers.
- Grant Reserve: South of Coogee beach near McIvers Ladies Baths and the playground. Amenities include male, female and accessible toilets.
- Dunningham Reserve: North of Coogee Beach. New amenities are currently being planned, with temporary male and female toilets currently at this location.
HAVE YOUR SAY:
We would like your feedback to help us ensure any future design caters to the needs of our community and visitors.
Chat with us at Coogee!
Share your ideas with us in person at Goldstein Reserve (weather permitting) on:
CONSULTATION PERIOD: 16 MAY TO 12 JUNE 2022.